- the third anniversary of its registration
- the anniversary of its last MOT, if it’s over 3 years old.
An MOT lasts for a year. The date it runs out is printed on the last pass certificate. You can get an MOT up to a month (minus a day) before it runs out and keep the same renewal date.
Example: If your MOT runs out on 15 May, the earliest you can get an MOT to keep the same renewal date for next year is 16 April. You can get an MOT earlier, but the MOT renewal date for the following year will be different.
You can’t drive your vehicle on the road if the MOT has run out.
Your vehicle can either pass or fail the MOT. If it fails, you’ll get a list of things that need to be fixed.
If your vehicle passes the MOT
- You'll get an MOT certificate from the test centre
- It will be recorded in the MOT database
Free MOT reminder
Whilst our own MOT text reminder service is no longer available, you can still get FREE text message or email reminders of when your MOT Is due by signing up here: https://www.gov.uk/mot-reminder
Failing the MOT
If your vehicle fails the MOT:
- you'll get a refusal of an MOT test certificate from the test centre
- it will be recorded in the MOT database
Driving a vehicle that's failed
- have the failed defects fixed
- a pre-arranged MOT test appointment