- the third anniversary of its registration
- the anniversary of its last MOT, if it’s over 3 years old.
An MOT lasts for a year. The date it runs out is printed on the last pass certificate. You can get an MOT up to a month (minus a day) before it runs out and keep the same renewal date.
If your vehicle passes the MOT
- You'll get an MOT certificate from the test centre
- It will be recorded in the MOT database
Failing the MOT
If your vehicle fails the MOT:
- you'll get a refusal of an MOT test certificate from the test centre
- it will be recorded in the MOT database
Driving a vehicle that's failed
- have the failed defects fixed
- a pre-arranged MOT test appointment